A weekend in Singapore gave me an opportunity to check out the status of Smart Home devices available in other parts of the world. I visited an L3 Homeation Store to see what Singapore has to offer in the way of smart home devices.
Home Control Doesn’t Have To Be Complicated Or Expensive! VeraEdge gives you easy control over lights, cameras, thermostats, door locks and more. Whether you are just starting your smart home or already have smart home devices and want to unify them for control from a single easy to use app, VeraEdge is for you! Built-in Wi-Fi, includes Internet cable and power supply, plus complete, easy to follow instructions. The VeraEdge Controller is the ideal hub or “”nerve center”” for your smart home!. The Most Advanced Home Controller Is Also The Easiest To Use!
The Fibaro Home Center 2 is a high end Home Automation hub.
Touch Panel Switch for use with Aeon Labs’ Z-Wave Micro controllers Aeon Labs’s Touch Panel for Micro range is a series of elegant, touch-sensitive switches that can be used as an accessory to control Aeon Labs’ range of in-wall, Z-Wave Micro controllers. With their smooth glass fronts and brushed aluminium sides, each Touch Panel brings subtle, modern aesthetics to the humble wall switch and is capable of controlling individual appliances, lights or motors or entire Z-Wave scenes. Each switch in the Touch Panel for Micro range is flat and does not recess into the gang box, thus leaving more room for the Micro and a neater installation.
During a recent layover in Tokyo’s Narita Airport, I happened upon some pretty smart things, including a Pepper Robot and a robotic beer dispenser, amongst other cool stuff.
Here are the essential videos you should watch to get started setting up your smart home.
1. The first thing you will need is a hub. There are many on the market today. I personally use the Wink Hub. Here is an overview of the Wink Hub from CNet.
2. Once you have your hub, you will need something to control. Here is my personal top 5 list of Smart Home devices.
3. To get your feet wet, I recommend that you start with a simple plugin module. They are the easiest to install. From there you will get plenty of ideas for what to do next. A look at two types of plugin modules can be found here.
4. And finally, here are more getting started videos:
- Monitor, open and close a second garage door with MyQ Garage (MYQ-G0201 – Sold Separately).
- MyQ Garage Wi-Fi Hub (MYQ-G0201) is limited to two garage door openers.
- Mounts to inside top panel of garage door opener and is added to MyQ account through the MyQ App.
- Install in minutes.
- Includes: door sensor, adhesive/screws for mounting and instructions for adding to your MyQ account.
In this episode, we look at the problems with off-the-shelf power strips when trying to deal with modern smart devices. The Quirky Power Genius is worthy of exploration.
- Flexible form that bends into circular, semi-circular, and zig-zag shapes.
- Six outlet pods, which can be adjusted so that large power bricks don’t hog space.
- ETL-certified surge protection up to 672 joules, with an easy off/reset button.
- Adjusts so you can utilize all six outlet pods.
- Bends to fit around furniture and in tight spaces.
- Smart technology – Turn two outlets on or off remotely from an app on your mobile device. This can be manual or scheduled automatically from anywhere at anytime
- Surge protection – No sparks! Unwanted spikes in voltage don’t stand a chance against Pivot Power Genius’s 1080 joules of rock-solid surge protection
- Turn two outlets on or off remotely from an app on your mobile device. This can be manual or scheduled automatically from anywhere at anytime.
- Four pivoting outlets accommodate plugs and adapters of all shapes and sizes.